We are stronger when united. Benton Franklin County Medical Society (BFCMS) unites local physicians and physician assistants of all specialties and practice settings and provides you with valuable tools to support you in practice.
We provide an opportunity for every physician in our community to become involved in supporting our mission: Improving the health of our community and enhancing professional satisfaction through advocacy, education and collegiality. We reach this mission by focusing on advocacy and outreach, fostering community partnerships, increasing professional satisfaction and maintaining association sustainability.
BFCMS Value Proposition includes:
Advocacy-Helping to advance issues important to physicians.
Education-Providing high quality CME for members.
Collegiality- Providing opportunities for members from all practice settings to gather together.
Advocacy and Outreach
BFCMS has a close relationship with the Washington State Medical Association (WSMA) and our local legislators which allows us to educate and influence our representatives when medical issues affecting your practice are debated and voted on in the state legislature.
In 2017, WSMA achieved several key legislative accomplishments, including measures that will:
- Allow the prescription monitoring program to create an overdose feedback system and provide data to prescribers and facilities for addressing appropriate prescribing of opiates. This will give health care providers information they need to make informed decisions surrounding appropriate prescribing.
- Clarify that telemedicine services qualify for reimbursement regardless of where the patient is located, including outside of their home. This will allow physicians to receive payment for services provided to a patient in a variety of settings, not just limited to their home.
- Authorize Washington state to join the interstate Medical Licensure Compact. This will allow physicians to expedite licensure to practice medicine in multiple states that are members of the compact.
- Prohibit balance billing.
- Prevent a 20% increase of the B&O tax impacting physicians.
- Prevented mandated annual CME on opioid prescribing.
We provide three delegates on your behalf to the WSMA Annual Meeting, where policy is established for the year. Additionally, we represent you in our community with groups such as the Benton Franklin Community Health Alliance, Health Access Team and Greater Columbia Accountable Community of Health. These committees address such community concerns as ED overuse and access to care in our community.
The BFCMS Annual CME Seminar provides Category I CME credit close to home. We recruit regional and national speakers for this annual activity. As a member, you receive a $100 discount on your registration. Beginning in 2017 we are pleased to offer ABIM and ABP (peds) MOC for our CME activities (when appropriate). As always, we continue to host six general membership meetings which are included in your dues. These dinner meetings feature speakers lecturing on a variety of clinical and non-clinical topics. In 2016 we accredited 21.50 hours of Category I CME credit to our members at reduced or no cost.
We remain the only neutral forum where physicians from all practice settings can come together with other physicians and physician assistants for business and social purposes.
The BFCMS office receives numerous calls from patients needing a referral for a new physician or physician assistant or help finding a specialist. We provide referral information for our members only.
General Source of Information
We serve as a general source of information for your medical practice. If we are unable to provide you with an answer, we will link you to the source that can.
Members receive our monthly electronic newsletter, which focuses on timely topics and regional and national health issues. New members and upcoming events are also highlighted. BFCMS Members are highlighted on the website in the membership directory.
To apply for membership, complete the membership profile form. Please contact Nicole at 509 943-8817 with any additional questions.